Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Little Off



We were all a little off “normal” this week, but then, that just might be the norm around here. Kory started off the week with a visit to the ear doctor. Every time I tell him I think he’s losing his hearing, he responds with, “Huh?” He was there for an hour and a half and yes, they said, he needs a hearing aid. His response to that was, “And if I took my car to a mechanic, of course they would tell me I need something fixed.” He thinks they only want to make a sale. I told him I’d go in as a spy to see if they tell me the same thing, but even if they told me my hearing was perfect, I’m pretty sure he isn’t getting a hearing aid anytime soon. He’s trying to keep the phrase “stubborn Norwegian” alive and well. At least he did agree to go back to Chelation therapy – mostly to complete the mercury detox he was doing before we left for Norway. In my quest to discover “why” he has hardening of the arteries, I came across some literature that said mercury could contribute to it. When he got his mercury test results back, the scale went from 0-3, with 3 representing very dangerous levels of mercury in the blood. His level was 27. He got all his amalgam fillings taken out and went through some detoxing to get his level down to 9, but he still has a way to go to get it under 3. The worst fear about mercury toxicity is what it’s known to do to the brain. I hope we aren’t too late. Some days I wonder.



I actually went to a doctor this week for the first time since Kaleb’s been born. My friend Dani told me my cough was “annoying” and she told me I need to do something about it. I just assumed it was from dairy allergies, but even when I stayed off dairy, I still coughed, so I bit the bullet and went in. The doctor ordered a bunch of tests, which I’ve yet to schedule because I really don’t want to spend money on such things, but her best guess is that I have bronchial pneumonia, asthma and allergies. Lovely. She’s not sure if the pneumonia is brought on by allergies or an infection and that’s why she wants all the tests. I’m giving prayer and naturopathic means a shot before I even have any tests because I’m against taking any kind of prescription drugs and I like to give God the first shot at healing me anyway - there’s never any side effects with Him.



Kaleb and I went to see the “Bodies” exhibit in downtown Seattle this week. Truly, our bodies are fearfully and wonderfully made. My first impression of all those cadavers, somehow preserved to show us all the inner workings of our earthly form, was that, “It looks a lot like chicken.” Really – it reminded me of all the times I’ve chewed on a chicken leg – as our muscles wrapped around the bone don’t look much differently. And the other thing it reminded me of is the first time I went snorkeling. Once I saw all those incredible creatures under the surface of the water, I never looked out at the ocean with the same eyes. That’s how it is with our bodies… previously I just saw skin, now I can visualize all that’s under there. Interesting stuff. Kaleb and I also attended a play at the Children’s Theatre that day, which was beyond awesome. I love live theatre.



My two biggest time consumers this week were the dogs we are dog sitting, and preparing for Christmas (wrapping gifts, etc.). Those dogs have somehow decided I’m the coolest person on the planet and they only want to be with me. They won’t go for a walk with either Kory or Kaleb, unless I come along (they return to the house every time, waiting for me.) They won’t even chase after the ball if Kaleb throws it – I have to be the one. They only come to me for all their love and affection and they are constantly competing for a little face time. It would be great if I weren’t trying to get so many things done, but if I sit at the computer, they push their nose up under my arm to dislodge my hand from the keyboard. When I’m in the kitchen, they lie in front of the stove or sink so I’m having to cook meals while contorting my body around so as not to step on them. They are going home Tuesday - just in time - because I’ll still love them by then. (Kory just about lost them this week while Kaleb and I were in Seattle. He let them outside while he was working on a project, and they took off. He didn’t notice they were gone right away and it took him a while to find them. They were off running in a neighbor’s field, so all’s well that end’s well, but he was in a panic there for a while.)



Kaleb was all set to run in a two mile race this morning but he stepped on a nail in our driveway (he was just wearing Crocs). His foot hurt just enough when he put his running shoes on that we thought it wise to bag out of the race. He didn’t complain, as he spent the day on the couch reading books until a friend came over to play. He’s done so well in school this week I know he needs some down time. He’s been pushing it hard in his web design class as he’s actually at the point where he’s designing the real website for his Weekly Puppy newspaper, so he’s very excited, but he also gets frustrated to tears when something doesn’t work right. It’s all so detailed, I’m surprised he likes it so well, but the reward of it going live is just around the corner. He’s also doing quite well with his music lessons. When he came in the door after practice this week Kory asked how he did and his response was, “Unfortunately, very well.” His teacher skipped him a year’s worth of books and put him up to where her second year students are. She said he has a “knack” for music so she’s pushing him hard. I love it.



We had our home fellowship meeting tonight and had another great time together. We are so blessed to be part of such a fantastic group of people. Every meeting I start us off with a “getting to know you” kind of question (even though this is our third year). Tonight’s question was about our bravest moment. It was so interesting to see the clear line drawn between the male and female responses. The bulk of the women talked about a time they fought some injustice or worked with the mentally ill, while all the men (but one) said their bravest moments were around something to do with public speaking. Pretty funny. My response was, the day I became a mother, because motherhood isn’t for sissies. Every day, I feel like a hero if we all manage to stay alive.



(The photo today is of Kaleb with Penny and Luna, the dogs we are watching, in the Anacortes off-leash dog park. Kaleb is standing next to the section of fence “dedicated” to him for his work done on The Weekly Puppy. The green plaque has his name on it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment