Monday, February 15, 2010

Ready or Not

I love that spring is here early, even if we didn’t have much of a winter. I’ve never seen daffodils blooming in the fields before Valentine’s Day though, so spring is definitely very early this year. I even picked some daffodils in our yard today and put them in a vase for our company, that should be showing up any minute. Kory’s cousin and son are here from Norway to see the ice hockey game on Thursday (America vs. Norway), so we are lucky they are staying with us this week. We so love company!



I’ve been trying to clean the house a bit today as we dog sat two dogs over the weekend. And this is after I said I’d never dog sit again. Do people just not hear my “no” or do I just not say it? I’m not sure which. But I am sure the house is always a mess afterwards and it gives me great motivation and pleasure to clean up every last dog hair, which is good because company is coming!


I managed to get our taxes done this week, mow the lawn, hoe the garden, bake cookies with Kaleb and homeschool him more than normal so Kory could keep working on the porch tile (see photo of the “before”). We were hoping to have the porch done by the time the Norskies got here, but things always take longer than expected.


Kory took Kaleb and a buddy skiing on Wednesday and that was just what Kaleb needed – to have a friend along. I guess he’s getting to the age where hanging out with his parents isn’t his favorite way to spend time – especially if it’s with me. I’ve been struggling with him this week as I caught him in two more lies and I’m clueless as to what to do about it. Our home fellowship group met on Saturday night and we talked about parenting issues. They all think we spend too much time with Kaleb and that perhaps putting him in school might relieve some tensions. Kory is all in favor of that as he feels inadequate as a teacher anyway, but Kaleb is dead set against going to school, so we are currently praying for wisdom. Who knows what will happen. I love that boy, but he sure drives me nuts sometimes.


The big news this week is that the local paper started a new “feature column” called “Nuggets from Norway” – by yours truly! Very exciting for me, even though it’s only 400 words, but it’s a great way for me to focus on editing down my blog to become a book. The editor wanted each column to be on one specific topic, comparing life in Norway to life in America. It’s a great idea as, over time, it will give a good picture of life there, for those who are interested in such things. Since the newspaper isn’t on-line, I promised a few people I’d post it on my blog every week, so here goes:


Nuggets from Norway

Local writer Mickey Bambrick, whose work has been published in several editions of the “Chicken Soup for the Soul” series, recently returned home to Pleasant Ridge in Skagit Valley.


Here in a new feature, Bambrick, with her characteristic heart-warming humor, shares her journal entries about the year she lived in Norway with her husband Kory Slaatthaug and their son Kaleb. As you will see, she found daily life in Norway, her husband’s homeland, very different from what she was accustomed to.

About vanilla …

By Mickey Bambrick

One day soon after we moved to Norway, I spent a good twenty minutes trying to locate vanilla and baking soda in the market.

I had no less than four people try to help me. I bought something called “natron” and hoped for the best.

When I tried to verify that the package contained baking soda, I asked the employee whether I could use it not just for cooking, but to brush my teeth, clean things with it, etc.

I got a most definite “No.” I figured they either they aren’t hip to the many great uses for baking soda, or I got the wrong thing.

As for the vanilla… a customer in the store overheard my repeated description of “black water” which was the best way I knew how to describe vanilla extract in my limited Norwegian vocabulary.

The customer handed me a container with some kind of powder in it, clearly marked “vanila” and wondered what my problem was.

I spoke again in broken Norwegian, saying “No, black water.”

She explained to me in broken English that her daughter-in-law was from Australia and she had the same problem – she wasn’t used to cooking with the vanilla powder.

But that’s all they have in Norway. Go figure.

She also told me her daughter-in-law only lasted five years and then went back home. “Too many differences,” she said.

I don’t know whether she was referring to the marriage, or the vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment