Monday, March 15, 2010

Tulip Season

It’s soon tulip/tourist season in the Skagit Valley. As a friend once said, “If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?” He wasn’t referring to the tulips, he was referring to the hoards of looky-loos that come to see them. Years ago another friend made a bumper sticker with an image of upside down tulips that says, “Nuke the tulips.” Needless to say, the tulips aren’t so popular with all the locals around here. I must admit, I have mixed feelings myself.



On one hand, I love that we sit up on Pleasant Ridge overlooking the tulip fields. Each and every day we get to see the farmland quilt laid out before us change it’s pattern with shifting shadows and vibrant spots of color coming and going throughout the year. Our view can’t be beat. But that’s also the problem. Because we live so close to all the “action” we are nearly prisoners in our own home for several weeks each spring as the roads in front of our house get jammed with all the visitors that flock to this area to take a look at those colors and snap a few photos. I can’t blame them. It is breathtakingly beautiful, and I have several hundred photos myself, to prove it.


But on the other hand, the tourists pay so much attention to the tulip fields, they fail to notice the traffic signs. There are several places where the speed limit goes from 35 to 50, but no one ever sees the 50 and they just mozey on down the road at 35 (or less) looking for the next place to pull over and take photos. And with so many other cars on the road, it’s impossible to pass them. Normally I can get into town in under 15 minutes, but during tulip season, I don’t even try unless it’s early morning or after dark. The back ups at intersections can take hours.


The other big issue I have with the tourists is that many of them just pull half-way over onto the shoulder of the road and jump out to take photos – not caring a bit that their car is sticking out into the street, which makes it impossible to pass if other cars are approaching. The inconsideration gets on my nerves after a while. That part of the tourist season has already gotten a jump start this year as the daffodil fields are in full bloom and we've had so many blue sky days to make the perfect backdrop for photos. There are often a string of cars just down the street from our house that I have to pass (or wait to pass until it’s clear) on every trip into town. Apparently there are many people who come here who can’t read English because they park right below the signs that say, “No stopping or parking at any time.” It’s the same problem on Fir Island this time of year – only people pull over to see the flocks of snow geese, trumpeter swans or bald eagles.


This is where I have the mixed feelings because sometimes I can’t help but stop and take a photo myself. We do live in an amazingly beautiful place, but I at least respect the signs and people’s private property.


We usually have to be prepared for the month of April. We stock up on food to minimize the trips we must take into town. When we must go into town while the sun is still up, we take the long way along the river, just so the car stays in motion, as I have very little patience for being still while in a vehicle. I prepare mentally to deal with people who I often feel have no right to be on the road in front of me, and I have much repentance to do once I’m home for the number of times I’ve lost my temper.


But … it only happens once a year and it’s good for the local economy. I’d rather have tourists and tulips than housing developments and rush traffic. And now that the tulips are soon upon us, I’ll have to perfect my drive-by shooting skills – that’s where I roll down the window and point the camera and SHOOT, without even taking my foot off the accelerator. I’ve taken some amazing photos that way. I just wish others would do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment