Monday, April 12, 2010

Oh, How I LOVE Company!

Our house is all quiet again, which sometimes makes me sad. The last several days we’ve had company here non-stop - friends up from Seattle dropping in while they were out on a tour of the tulip fields; a good friend flew in from Colorado to visit us for a long weekend; and Kory’s cousin’s daughter was here from Norway with her friend on their round-the-world tour in 94 days. This is the life I love – having a home full of people, conversation, late nights and good wine. It doesn’t get much better.

I often leave the mess that’s left behind from having guests here just so I have extra time to relive the memories while I clean it up later. If the house is all cleaned, sometimes it seems as if no one was here - but my friend Paula is a cleaning demon and the house is in much better shape now than when she arrived – so there are no worries I’d forget that visit.



Just as all our company was getting ready to leave this morning, I got an e-mail from a homeschool mom, inviting us out to her house to see a 42 foot gray whale that washed up on their beach out on Samish Island. None of us had ever seen a whale up close and personal before so we took advantage of that rare opportunity before the tide came in at noon. What a sight it was. The barnacles attached to it were still alive and fresh blood was still oozing out it’s mouth. Poor thing. The girls here from Norway were most impressed with the whole thing, which surprised me a bit since they thought the tulip fields and all the bald eagles in the area were the “bomb” and nothing could get better than that. It was nice to give them something to remember. Photos will help with that, too. (In the photo above, Kaleb is the one in the orange jacket.)


Life is back to it’s usual pace now and I’m no longer anyone’s tourist guide. Many of the tulip fields are topped and there was no back up of cars in LaConner when I went in to the gym today. Whew. My only stress now will be dealing with Kaleb and his new GLASSES! My sweet boy informed me last week that he wasn’t able to see well out of his right eye. I took him in to the eye doctor and sure enough, he couldn’t even read the top E! Yikes. I can’t imagine him being responsible enough to keep track of glasses, as he’s near sighted and won’t need them when he reads, so having them off and on and off and on is causing me a bit of angst… but I won’t borrow trouble just yet. I’m still coming down off the stress from all the tulip traffic out in the valley in front of our house. One day at a time.


But speaking of stress… Kory has recently joined the Republican Party and was voted some delegate for something or another. He spent his Saturday at some convention and I couldn’t have been more disgusted, but this is his new passion. Somehow he really feels like he’ll make a difference. I couldn’t disagree more. We can’t talk politics in our house because we want to stay married. It’s not that we disagree on things, it’s just that I can’t sit still long enough to hear all that his heart contains on certain issues. I’m just thankful we’ll be in Norway during the State convention, or else he might really go overboard. Already he has a political sign plastered on his van that is so offensive to me I won’t ride in that vehicle. He loves his freedom of speech and all the more so if he feels like it bothers some people. He is mischievous to the core. Oh well, I gotta love him anyway.


The other day I got on Google earth and “walked” around our old neighborhood in Norway – looking at the rooftops of all the houses to our friends and family there. I’m starting to miss the simplicity of our life in Norway and I’m very much looking forward to our return. Aunt Ruth, the one that currently rents our condo in Aalesund, has finally got a permanent place to live in an assisted living home, so she will be moving out on the 23rd of April and when we arrive in May, we can get settled and make it our own home away from home. Then hopefully we can start having company from America come visit us over there because I REALLY DO love company! We have it so good, sometimes I feel guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment