Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Long Drive to Yellowstone

We did the total America road trip today – ten hours in the car getting to our final destination; eating food in the back seat, not even stopping for a meal. We thought Tobias might like more than just a taste of American life, he got the whole enchilada. Now we are tired and need sleep.




I woke the boys up at 6:30 this morning in order to have breakfast with my friend, Stuart. I got to meet Stuart’s children and grandson and talk about his family farms I visited in Norway. We also talked about the trip he will make next year to Norway to come visit us and see the farms. It was so great to give him all the names I’ve found of his ancestors, and I do believe he appreciated it. His kids were interested too, so that makes it all the more meaningful. I am probably looking forward to his trip to Norway more than he is. Can’t wait for that one….



We left Ellensburg at ten o’clock this morning and arrived at Yellowstone at nine o’clock tonight. Kaleb passed the time watching movies and Tobias slept most of the way. We kept telling Tobias once we were over the mountains the land would just be brown and dry, but there has been so much rain this year, we’ve yet to hit a dry patch and we had beautiful green hills the entire drive (see photo of Paradise Valley in Montana I took out the window WHILE driving about 90mph). It was spectacular scenery and several times it almost felt like we were back in Norway again. Kory and I switched off driving so we could snooze a little here and there and make good time. It was still a long drive, but we made it without incident. How blessed we are to have friends like Joni and Jimmy waiting for us when we got here. Now we get to know what real country folks live like, as Jimmy had to go put the chickens in before he could go to bed, and Joni warned us about the Grizzly bear that sometimes peaks in the window to the room where we will be sleeping tonight. I’m so tired, I can’t even be worried about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment