Sunday, September 5, 2010

Family Camp

I am writing this from Family Camp at Camp of the Cascades down in Yelm, Washington, a camp owned by the Covenant Church. It’s an incredibly beautiful hide-out from the real world as all that is visible in this little corner, is God’s creation. It would be hard not to experience Him from this place. This afternoon during the free time, I had a pretty good encounter with God that was worth the eight hours it took to get us here. (We experienced an incredible amount of traffic Friday, since we were heading into a long weekend, plus we stopped and picked up our “family” to bring with us.)


The “Powerline Kids” as I call them, have been in our lives for the past 17 years. They lived in our old neighborhood and I’d see them when I was walking the dog under the power lines. Eric was six at the time, Sara was nine. We’ve been very involved with their lives over the years and they now refer to us as their “god parents.” They each have kids of their own now, so we decided to treat them all to Family Camp and a weekend away from their otherwise pretty mundane lives. They are all on various forms of public assistance so they don’t get out much. This weekend is a pretty big deal for them.

So this afternoon, after spending over 24 hours with Kory and Kaleb, plus three adults (Eric’s wife is also here, but Evan, the third “kid,” couldn’t make it), a baby and three preschoolers, I decided I’d catch a little quiet time out on the lake while they were all busy doing other activities that make Family Camp a very fun place to be. Kory and Kaleb were busy making rocket cars, Eric and Sara took their kids on pony rides, and I finally, and unexpectedly, had some time to myself.

As I hopped in the boat and started rowing, I immediately noticed the oar lock was broken on one side so that the oar slipped out of its holder with nearly every stroke. My only goal for the day was to get to the other side of the lake, and to enjoy some peace and quiet, but the stupid oar situation was more than hindering that process.

I looked around at this pristine, undeveloped lake and all the mountains in the distance surrounding it and I felt guilty for having such a bad attitude. It felt like I was “in” a place where God truly resides, and I should be enjoying it, rather than grumbling about my situation. Recently I’d done a word study on the word “in” as in being “in Christ Jesus” and what that meant. When I looked up the original Greek word used in the Bible, I found it means “to be in the interior of some whole.” It’s often translated to English as “with” and it’s the same word used when the Bible says Mary was “with” child. That Greek word came to mind as I was out on the lake today, like I was “in” God and “with” God and He was all around.

I had started thinking about that concept just as my blood pressure began to rise over the broken oar problem, and I also thought about some of the “problems” I seem to have as well. I finally decided, since I was in the “interior of the whole”ness of God, I’d just let go of the oars and see where God would take me when I stopped rowing and trying to be in control myself.



My heart’s desire was to get to the other side of the lake, but the wind, up to that point, had been pushing me back to my starting point, so it had been a real struggle. Strangely enough, when I let go of the oars and just kicked back in the boat, closed my eyes and let it drift, the wind shifted and I started heading out across the lake. It was so peaceful, so beautiful, so relaxing. I enjoyed the slow speed and absolutely silence that came with it. I also realized I could hear things around me that I hadn’t noticed before because of all the noise I was making while rowing. It was a beautiful analogy to this scripture of being “in Christ Jesus” - just letting go and being in the middle of God. I was out there for hours, and at one point, when I lifted my head to look straight up into heaven - right above my boat was a heart shaped cloud. It was one of the coolest ways God has ever communicated His love to me, and all I could say was, “Wow.”

It’s been a rough week on many levels, but this was a good way to end it. I’ve been fasting and praying most of the week for people I love that are struggling in different ways and it’s not necessarily getting better for any of them yet. When we are in the storm, it’s good to let God be in control and if we allow enough quiet space in our crazy busy lives to let Him love on us, He doesn’t disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment