Thursday, August 18, 2011

Killin' Time


It’s been weird having a few days with nothing on the calendar.  I actually had to schedule that in order to pull it off, but I figured after our company left, we’d need a break.  Neither Kory nor I know what to do with ourselves if we don’t have a to-do list.  The last time I had my vitamin D level checked, I was very low, so I have been able to justify lying around in a lawn chair in the sun as actually DOING something, since I’m hopefully eliminating my vitamin D deficiency. I have a nice tan, now too, as a result of that.  It’s almost as if I’ve been on a tropical vacation, but in reality, haven’t left our yard.  Oh the blessings of sunny weather.  I’m glad it’s finally here.

We hired the neighbor guy to come over and limb a fir tree whose branches were blocking some of our view of the valley below.  He tried it a month ago but a mama squirrel with a nest in that tree, stopped the process.  The babies are gone and so are the limbs.  Our view is better than ever and more light comes in the house.  We need more light.  Our house is always dark and cold, which works out well on hot days, but those just don’t happen often enough.  I love living in the woods though and I wouldn’t take out a single tree surrounding us, but the limbs are another story.

Kory and I have been doing a juice fast since Kaleb left for summer camp.  Kory’s never fasted before so he’s gotten rather crabby the last few days.  I’ll be glad when he can eat again.  I think it’s good to give the body a break.  I’m taking our Honda van in for a major tune-up tomorrow and I realize I take better care of my things than I do my own body.  Maybe it’s time to pay more attention, as I’ve had just too many friends over 50 come down with awful health diagnoses, so I’m thankful everyday that I wake up and nothing is wrong with me.  God is good, but I can’t be stupid and expect His blessings in that arena if I’m not doing my part, so I need to get more serious in the “taking care of myself” department.

Kory went salmon fishing this morning for the first time ever on the Skagit River (or any river for that matter.)  When he bought his license last night the woman couldn’t believe he wasn’t in their computer system and that he’d never fished before.  I’m not sure he will do it much in the future either, if today’s outcome predicts anything.  He was out there for four hours and didn’t even get a nibble, yet guys all around him were catching their limit.  He wanted to do a practice run before he takes Kaleb out tomorrow.  I told him if he hasn’t caught anything in an hour, just come home, otherwise Kaleb will never want to go fishing again.  Kory insists they need to give it at least four hours before they give up.  Oh brother.  That’s a recipe for disaster and certainly not something that will create a father/son bonding moment as Kaleb is not the most patient kid on the planet.

Last night Kory and I picked more blueberries (we have a secret source near our house).  I froze and vacuum packed them all today.  I think I have about eight gallons in the freezer from two different locations.  I couldn’t be more pleased.  We have smoothies every morning for breakfast, so those berries will last long into the winter, I hope. 

I love the fact that we live around food that’s growing.  We get to watch the fields in front of our house grow all kinds of things.  I love all stages of farming and each year, I try to do a little at our place as well.  Kaleb planted pumpkins a few weeks ago.  I hope they make it by Halloween.  I have zucchini, beans, peas, potatoes and squash currently in our garden.  I planted them all a little late since we were gone in the spring, but they seem to be doing well.  If the weather stays warm enough, we might have our own little harvest. 

I don’t think I’ll ever worry about disaster befalling us and me going hungry.  It seems there’s plenty of food to go around if you’re lucky enough to live in the country.  Sometimes, people even give it away for free, they have so much of it.  But this year, I know, our fruit trees aren’t producing enough even just for us.  Maybe it was a cold spring so the bees didn’t do their thing, but we only have a total of six plums on two trees and maybe eight Asian pears.  I think we might get a dozen apples… this discovery was very disappointing as we so love eating fruit right from our trees.

Well, that’s it for today folks.  I’m going to try and blog as much as I can.  I just got some of Kaleb’s school books in the mail today.  One of them was on writing, and it said, “If you want to be good at something, you have to do it often,” so I guess I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment