Sunday, March 10, 2013

Home Sweet Home!



9 March 2013



We were going to stay and have breakfast with Janet this morning, but switching time zones really caught up with us.  We were up til 11pm last night then wide awake at 4am this morning. We sat in the RV knowing there was no point in going anywhere since we needed to stop at Trader Joes on the way home to get groceries and they weren’t open yet.  We didn’t want to wake Janet to say goodbye as she needs her sleep, so at 7am we just took off and left her a note dangling from a plate in front of her garage.  I would have preferred a hug, but that’s the best we could do.  TJ’s opens at 8am so we headed on up to Everett and waited for the doors to open.

The store next to TJs had a wi-fi signal so that’s all we needed to kill time.  It’s funny, some nights we were like a dog circling three times before they settle down in their dog beds, as Kory would circle around big parking lots while I sat with my laptop open seeing if we could catch a free signal somewhere.  He’d go around and around until finally I clicked into something, and there we would sit, so we could all connect to the electronic world.  It was kind of a funny routine but I’m glad it’s now over and I have my trusty wi-fi signal at home all to myself.

So we loaded up on groceries, stopped at the rest stop to empty our holding tanks and we were pulling in our driveway by 9:30am.  It took Kory an hour to get our cars out of the way though, since two of them had dead batteries.

Kory spent the day mowing the grass and washing the white van, while Kaleb and I unloaded everything from the RV.  Our stuff took up the whole covered porch on our house and I’ve yet to put it all away, even though I worked on it all day.  I did several loads of laundry, opened and sorted the mail, and discovered I’d only forgotten to pay our house phone bill before we left, so that was the good news, as they are patient people.


We visited our neighbors and thanked them for taking care of our house while we were gone.  They even kept the driveway blown off so there were no leaves covering everything.  Another neighbor watered our houseplants and another one got the mail, so it “took a neighborhood” to cover for us while we were gone – ha.  We usually have house sitters but we didn’t want any this time because it was winter and it would cost so much to keep the house warm.

So, it’s good to be home.  Kaleb got in a few hours to play with his new video game characters after he worked hard all day doing his regular chores and helping me.  He kept telling me how “unfair” it was that he couldn’t dive right in and play on the Wii now that we are home, but I told him what would be unfair is if he were downstairs doing that and I was still upstairs putting things away.  He’s logical enough to see how true that is.

God blessed us with a gorgeous sunny and pretty warm day today.  The daffodils aren’t showing any color yet, but they were picking them in the fields so I stopped and bought a few bunches on our way across Fir Island.  What a great time to be back home, just as spring is about to pop.  The tulips and daffodils in our yard are coming up and the kale I planted in the veggie garden last year is also still producing, so we even have fresh greens to munch on this week.  I love this country life.  Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment