Thursday, August 5, 2010

Home Alone

OK, finally there is something to write about. I have been home alone all week. Day one, I slept in until noon. I didn’t know I could sleep that long, but apparently with no one here to wake me, I can. I’m sure I needed it.




Day Two, I took a nap in the sun and crossed a few things off my to-do list, including ordering tickets for a ferry trip up and down the Norwegian coastline for our 20th anniversary next year. It felt good to take it easy for most of the day and I intentionally didn’t push myself to clean house, although I did wash an awful lot of bedding and hang it in the sun the dry. I also went to the chiropractor to get my ankle joint back in place, so now my foot isn’t so sore. It’s nice to have time to take care of myself.



Day Three, I ran a few errands, put a few things away in the house, made up the beds and ordered tickets and hotels for a trip to Colorado next month to attend the wedding of our good friends’ daughter. I even managed to get a few more articles written for my weekly feature “Nuggets From Norway” that runs every Wednesday in the LaConner Weekly News, which brings me to Day Four.



Today I got an email from the editor of the local paper. She told me a woman came by and dropped off a note for me, asking to meet me. She says she’s my biggest fan. I called her and she was thrilled, like I was some celebrity or something. She says she clips every column out of the paper and just yesterday sent copies of them in birthday cards and get well cards to her friends that need a good laugh. She loves my writing and asked if I was going to make it a book. That was a good sign.



But the exciting news was that Sandy, the local editor, asked if I’d come in and talk to her about possibly syndicating the column, so I hurried my not-so-little butt into town to find out what that was all about. She said every single person that calls into the office for something, always mentions how much they love my column. There is another columnist in the same paper that sometimes gets comments, both love it, and hate it, but she said mine is consistently the thing people love the most about her newspaper, so she thought we should try for the big time. She buys features from King Syndication so she asked if it was okay if she sends in some of my articles to them to see if they would be interested in carrying my column. Well, yeah. She also said she wanted to contact the Paulsbo newspaper to see if they would like to carry it, as it does have quite the audience with those of Norwegian descent, and Lord knows there’s enough of them over there. So, that made my morning, and I just had to share it with those folks who like to peek in on my life from time to time and read my blog. That bit of news was way more exciting to share than to write that I have now completed 34 items on my to-do list and have 55 left to go (but the list keeps growing), or that all I’ve eaten this week (no kidding) are luscious juice-bomb golden plums (see photo) that are now ripe and ready for picking on our plum tree. Plums are good. So is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment