Thursday, August 19, 2010

Lazy Dayz of Summer

Now I know why I like to have to-do lists running my life – just sitting around each and every day without a calendar packed full of activities is just not ME. I feel so unproductive and like my time is just wasting away. A few days of it was OK, but a week – way too much! I think I work best under pressure. Now, after having had over a week of blank days on the calendar, I’ve even lost my motivation to finish up the few things on my to-do list. I need more to do!




I’m going to go out on a limb here and just say that I think I have Attention Deficit Disorder, because I so need to have a few dozen balls to be juggling at the same time, as I start one thing and can never finish it because of the pressure I feel to go on to the next thing… then when I get bored with that, I go back to the first thing. It’s not like I didn’t know that about myself before, but I feel like I’ve been at some “self discovery” workshop all week as I’ve had to deal with the inner turmoil boiling around in my soul over lack of things to do. It hasn’t been good. And then I’m struggling with the fact the things I WANT to be doing – like working on genealogy for friends – requires sitting inside on the computer, but the weather has been too nice to do that, so I go outside to pull weeds and the sun is so hot I can’t stand it (especially when a hot flash surges through my body), so I find myself swinging in the sky chairs on the covered porch in the cool of the shade, without even a book to read because if I started a book, I’d just want to sit and read it all the way through to the end without being interrupted, and with Kaleb home, that’s not going to happen. I’m trying to minimize the times I yell at him (especially these last few weeks with his ego in recovery mode), so it’s all the more agonizing to be ME right now. Ugh!



So, that’s how my summer is going. I’m glad it’s almost over.



Actually, last Saturday was divine as we had our beloved Grammy J up for the day and we all went out on a speed boat on the Skagit River (thanks to a guy at our church.) It was a hot day and the perfect solution to beating the heat. In all the years we’ve lived here, I’ve never been on the lower Skagit, so it was nice to see it from the inside out (see photo). We went from the mouth of the north fork all the way up into downtown Mount Vernon, and back down again - beautiful all the way. Kaleb enjoyed the parts where we went fast, (and I enjoyed the parts we just stopped in the shade and listened to the birds). We are both still trying to talk Kory into getting a boat, but so far, no luck. If I could be out on the water every day it’s over 80 degrees, I’d be in heaven. And I’d bring a book.



Sunday Kaleb had his buddy Spencer here all day and they were having such a good time, Spencer decided to spend the night. It’s wasn’t a “sleep-over” however, because neither one of them slept. They were down in the basement all night playing video games and watching movies. I could tell by their blood shot eyes and funny daze on their faces the next morning, they got no sleep. By eleven o’clock Monday morning, however, they were both completely zonked out in the sky chairs. Spencer climbed up in the sky chair Kory had attached to the zip line, with the idea that Kaleb would pull him along in it, and as soon as he was in it, he fell asleep. Kaleb then realized he was too tired to pull Spencer, so he wandered over to the sky chairs hanging on the porch, and he fell asleep, too. For three solid hours, both those boys didn’t move a muscle. I had to wake them to take Spencer home. It was the quietest play-date in history.



Tuesday Kaleb and I went out to a play date at Big Lake at the homes of some people from our church. They have nine acres right on the lake and it’s a kid’s paradise out there with water sports, trampoline, tree swings and massive amounts of manicured lawn in which to play. But Kaleb sat and sulked all day that his pal, Carter, wasn’t there with him. He refused to enter in to any of the things the other kids were doing, but I did managed to coax him into a kayak to give that a try. He was a natural, which is a good thing since I bought a tandem kayak for me for my upcoming birthday so we can go out together with Carter and his mom, Carol, since they bought one, too. Mine should arrive tomorrow (woo hoo!)



Kory has been piddling around the house for a week and couldn’t be happier to have nothing on the calendar – although he’s made quite a to-do list to work on. He repaired a rotten railing post, he’s done some work on all the cars, he’s fiddled with the well and pump system trying to get some decent water flow out of it to water the garden, but so far has been unsuccessful, and he’s spent way too much time irritating the moles in our yard. But he’s happy, so that’s good. I’m just thankful for every day he’s vertical and breathing.



We watched the movie, “The Blind Side” the other night. It’s been on my mind quite a bit lately, as it had such a powerful message. It also opened up the opportunity to talk to Kaleb about the elitist system we have here in America, especially as it deals with colleges and universities. I don’t think he realized how the whole admittance system worked prior to seeing that film, but afterwards, he wanted to know if college recruiters seek out “smart kids” like they do athletes. Perhaps that was all the motivation he’ll need to work a bit harder on his school work, as it looks like he’ll be “own schooling” this year - at least for a little while until we see how it goes. With just a little over two weeks before school officially starts, he’s packing in as much time with friends as he can. I’m just so darn thankful he has friends, and I pray they will all last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment