Saturday, October 23, 2010

Falling into Autumn...

I love the many ways God heals people.  Kory’s neck pain started going away after people prayed for him, but his range of motion was still very limited.  As it happened, last Saturday night he was in the basement when Kaleb started playing the piano.  He stuck his upper body (with stiff neck) around the corner of the door to listen to him and when Kaleb was done, Kory forgot that there was a chin-up bar above his head.  He moved back out from the door frame and smacked his head on the chin-up bar.  He heard his neck pop back into place and immediately he had his range of motion back!  So much for chiropractors.  He was shouting Hallelujah all week, and also said a few things about the healing properties of music.  Ha ha.  At least that pain is behind us.  He was feeling so much better that he overdid it on the yard work this week though, so then the arthritis in his wrists started giving him fits.  I swear, he’s just one medical condition after another.

We both went to meet with a cardiologist this week to get an angiogram scheduled.  Kory will go into Providence Everett Medical Center on November 5th.  If all he needs are stents, he’ll get those that day and stay overnight and be home Saturday.  It’s only a few days recovery from that procedure, but I’m bracing for the fact he may need bypass surgery, which hopefully will happen before Thanksgiving.  I’m not ordering a turkey just yet.  Our plans for next month will have to be pretty flexible based on what happens with him.  I just have to trust God things will work out.  “Not my will, but thine be done.” 

Kaleb cranked it pretty hard on school work this week and did fairly well steering his own ship. He perplexes me, though.  He can remember that “nitrite is the polyatomic ion represented by the formula NO2” for his science class but he can’t remember to carry over a number for a simple math problem.  I wrote to his math teacher that he really does understand complex algebraic formulas, but he often gets them wrong because he goofs up on the simplest part of the math equation.  She wrote back that, “There are three types of mathematicians – those who can count, and those who can’t.”   I guess he’s in good company.  He’s decided he doesn’t like math, so I’m sure that’s why he doesn’t pay attention to the details, but he loves his chemistry class and is downright freaky in his understanding of which orbit the d level of an atom does something or another.  I’ve watched the lectures and I still don’t get it, but he’s fascinated by the stuff he’s learning, so I’m thankful for the online courses that Johns Hopkins has available.  He’s doing okay in speech, writing and piano, too.

We’ve had two loveable yellow labs in our house all week and yesterday Kaleb seriously complained that he thought I love on them more than him.  He’s been butting in between my lips and their noses whenever I get down on the floor with them.  I guess this is what sibling rivalry looks like.  Good thing he’s an only child. 

With the current school schedule, when I’m not herding Kaleb around, I’m preparing for the classes I teach and things I lead.  I’m not getting nearly as much time to sit and write as I hoped I would this Fall, but I squeeze it in where I can.  I had three articles written for my weekly column, then my laptop died.  I got a note from the guy trying to repair it – hoping I might recover some of the data, and all he said was, “Let’s have a moment of silence for your hard drive.”  I had to rewrite the columns.  At least they are still in demand.  The editor of the LaConner newspaper this week offered to start paying me for them, but I passed.  I don’t want it to seem like “work.”  

We headed out to the pumpkin patch a few times this week, just to get in the mood for Fall.  We live near one of the best pumpkin patches in the Northwest and every year I go, I can’t help but take dozens of photos.  We went again today as Kaleb had a buddy over all day and they had a blast playing hide and seek in the corn maze.  I love our life in the country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment