Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dryer Season


The other day, when Kaleb reached for a fresh towel after a shower, he said with a great sense of satisfaction in his voice, “Awwww… dryer season.”  I had to ask what he meant.  “The towels are finally soft again because they’ve been dried in the dryer.” 

All summer long I hang out our laundry – rain or shine.  We have a covered porch so even if it’s damp outside, the laundry is hanging around somewhere, trying to get dry.

I will admit, I don’t much care for the crunch of a wind blown bath towel, but the bed sheets are another story.  I love the fresh air smell and feel once they’ve been hanging on the line to dry.  The towels are another story.

The other thing Kaleb loves about “Dryer Season” as he calls it, is that he curls up on our bed as I’m bringing out a fresh load from the dryer so I will dump all the warm clothes on top of him.  I’ve been doing that since he could walk.  He loves being under a pile of warm clothes and he stays in that little cocoon as long as he possibly can.

We may not be a family that looks forward to Fall with great anticipation because it ushers in the arrival of hunting season, but we do know when Fall arrives without stepping a foot outside, just by the feel of the bath towels against our skin.  Dryer Season is upon us.


No comments:

Post a Comment