Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Glories of Autumn


I’m thankful God gives us these glorious days of Autumn, full of color and crisp air, sunshine and the final fruits of the harvest just to lift our spirits before the gray and barren days of winter set in.  I’ve so been enjoying watching the leaves turn color and fall to the ground.  Our own driveway has taken my breath away a few times when the late afternoon light filters in through the remaining golden leaves.  I so wish this season lasted longer.

One windy day last week it looked like it was snowing in our yard, but it was just all the cedar droppings from the trees around us, falling down in a magnificant shade of burnt orange.  It wasn’t so fun to rake up, but it did give me an excuse to go outside for a while.  Unfortunately, no sunshine hits our house now, and won’t again for several months, so we need to leave in order to get a dose of Vitamin D.  It’s a good thing we have a nice view to take our mind off the lack of sunshine in the winter, otherwise I’m sure I couldn’t bear it.

Kory’s been building daily fires in the downstairs woodstove trying to keep the house warm without using the diesel furnace.  Our new fireplace inserts arrives next week.  The new tile over the hearth was set last week and I can’t wait for the new look to arrive in our living room.  Once I get things the way I like them, I’m not much for changing them, but I’ve never liked the looks of the fireplace, so now the room will feel complete and a bit cozier.  After 13 years, the room probably needs a paint job, but I’m still happy with the way it is. 

It’s funny, this house still feels like we just moved in with projects still waiting to get done.  Our van we bought in 2006 feels new to me, too.  I’m not sure when things are supposed to feel old or worn out.  Perhaps my body will feel that way before anything materialistic that we own does.  I’m just thankful for what we have and each day that we now count as “normal.”

I’ve been thrilled lately to be in a routine and working on my to-do list again.  I’ve gotten all my Christmas gifts wrapped and Kaleb’s birthday scheduled out.  I realized I haven’t had much time for future planning lately, since I’ve been operating in a “just in time” kind of mode where I’m flying by the seat of my pants each and every day.  It’s been nice this last week or so to have some quiet time and plan out a few things.  In fact, it feels downright luxurious.   I’m not in panic mode on anything, Kaleb’s school work is on a nice pace and Kory is keeping himself busy volunteering his carpentry skills at church and a few other local charities.  I’ve even been able to do some meal planning, visiting with friends and do genealogy research for a few folks.  I’m promising myself not to get bored.  After six months this year of a crazy busy life, these days of “normal” feel pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment