Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hmmmmm.....


We got all the Christmas decorations packed away and life in our household soon returned to normal. I spent time this week preparing for a speech I gave to the women’s group at His Place Church on this morning (Saturday). The talk went better than I expected, so I was happy to be used by God to touch so many lives. A friend of mine drove up from Renton to hear me and she said it was “worth the drive.” Woo hoo. Kaleb and Kory went skiing on Monday (see photo), and school started back up for one very reluctant boy. We’ve had discipline issues all week so I’ve instituted a “Give me five,” policy. If he gives me any grief, he has to give me five push-ups. For every one he can’t do, he’ll lose a week’s worth of electronics. His muscles are building up quickly. One day he had to do nearly 50, but he’s a quick learner and he knows now not to back talk, argue, complain, whine or make me ask him twice to do anything. This new year might be pretty sweet, or I might be building a monster, I’m not sure which.


Nothing out of the ordinary happened, until Friday, and now maybe nothing will be the same. Something is up. I don’t know what, but God was speaking to me loud and clear that day. I had a dream that was so vivid and powerful, I knew it was from God. I’ve yet to figure out its total meaning, but maybe I shouldn’t.

In the dream, we were at a Christian camp right next to the ocean. The waves were rolling in like they do off the Oregon Coast. There was a little sandy beach, then a huge sloping upward grassy field, which was the only thing between the ocean and the cabins that sat up on the hillside. Many kids were out in the surf playing and the adults were watching – many from a well built tree house near the shore.

The tree house was split in half – two rooms with two entry doors and the wall between them extended out into the deck in front of the doors. The parents were leaning over the deck, watching the kids and someone saw a big wave coming – nothing horrific, just larger than normal. We started yelling at the kids to get out of the water. The kids didn’t react quickly enough so I held out my hand and prayed “In the name of Jesus” that no one would be hurt. They all got picked up by the wave and washed in a little ways up on to the grass. In an instant I noticed that Kaleb and Carter (his friend), were back out into the water just as we saw a tsunami coming. I screamed at them to come up to the tree house, which they did, and all the other kids that had been washed ashore went scrambling up to the cabins.

We crammed as many as we could into each half of the tree house and had a discussion as to whether we should leave the door open or closed and everyone agreed to close it. I briefly stepped outside to be sure no one else was in danger and then I saw him – a little boy about 2 ½ crouched in the corner of the deck on the other side of the tree house. I quickly picked him up and brought him into safety just before the wave hit and crashed against the door. The water came rushing into the room and filled it up to our chests and I started crying, realizing if I hadn’t gone out to look, that little boy would have been swept away. He slept in my arms through the whole thing.

The water receded - everyone was fine. No one around us was injured. I went looking for the parents of the little boy and found them up in the cabins. They weren’t in a panic, they just said, “If we would have lost him, that would have been the death of us….” And I was just about to explain where and how I found him, when I woke from the dream. My eyes were wet from crying.

I laid in bed and wondered about the meaning of it all. It seemed to me that God was the one rescuing me, rather than me rescuing a little boy, so I went over all aspects of the dream again and again trying to make sense out of it. All I could think was – some kind of calamity is coming and I’ll be spared.

I told Kory when he woke up that I had a dream that I knew it was from God, but I didn’t tell him what it was. When Kory got up to make coffee, Kaleb came and cuddled with me for a minute so I told him about the dream to see what he thought it meant. He had no idea. We both got up and Kory was in the living room drinking coffee so we both joined him and he said, “Let’s see what Psalms 41 says today, and he picked up his Bible and read,

“Blessed is he who has regard for the weak;
the LORD delivers him in times of trouble.
The LORD will protect him and preserve his life;
he will bless him in the land
and not surrender him to the desire of his foes.

I said “Hey, that sounds just like my dream!” And Kory said, “Really? When I woke up I kept thinking about Psalms 41, like I was supposed to read it this morning for some reason…” Then I told him my dream. He too didn’t fully understand it but we all think it’s some kind of disaster that God will get us through.

Then all morning I was thinking I should write this down, but I was schooling Kaleb so I didn’t have time. As we sat for lunch I grabbed my daily devotions (I’m reading from “Come Away My Beloved” by Fraces Roberts) and today’s devotion started with, “Write those things which I say unto you. Write and hold back nothing of all that I will say to you. For I will speak to you in the darkness and will make your way a path of light. I will cry unto you out of the confusion around you and you will hear my voice and will know that which I do. For my way is hidden from the rebellious and from the disobedient, and from them that seek to walk in their own wisdom. But look unto me and I will be to you as a beacon in the night and you will not stumble over the hidden thing. You will walk in a way of victory though turmoil be on either hand, even as Israel marched through the Red Sea on a path which My hand hewed out for them. Yes, it shall be a path of deliverance and My spirit will go with you and you will carry the glad tidings of deliverance to a people that sit in darkness and captivity.”

Interesting.

God has certainly gotten my attention! I know NOT to have fear, as that doesn’t come from God, so I’m hoping that the dream represents me, as the baby, sleeping through the whole disaster. But I’ve never had anything happen like this before where a dream was confirmed with scripture and scripture confirmed with a devotional. Weird, and powerful.

We’ve been trying to make some travel plans for this month or next, to go somewhere warm for a little vacation, but things just haven’t worked out so we decided not to go, and now this happened. So just for the record, we were going to either head to the Bahamas or Cancun, and now if a tsunami hits either of those places, at least I’ll know God kept us from THAT trip for a reason, but otherwise, I’m clueless as to the meaning of it all. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment