Sunday, September 18, 2011

CAL-I-FOR-NIA Here I Am!


I was up at 4:30 this morning, heading south on I-5.  I stopped off in Seattle to pick up Grammy J (Janet Johnson) to take her down to see her youngest grandson’s first home football game.  He got recruited by College of the Siskiyou’s in Reed, California just at the base of Mount Shasta.  She’s soon 75 and has some vision problems and can’t drive that far, and I just love that woman so much I’ll do anything for her – including a ten hour drive south one day, and ten hours back the next.

We were both surprised by how quickly the day zipped by – and with only a few pit stops we made it in nine hours.  It was good weather, light traffic and nothing but God’s creation in front of us.  At one point I spotted a very large branch (think small tree) that had obviously fallen off the back of someone’s truck.  It was smack in the middle of the fast lane where I was driving, so I just gently steered onto the shoulder of the road to avoid hitting it.  As soon as I started veering, Janet freaked out and wondered where in the world I was heading.  I told her I was avoiding the tree in the road.  Her response: “What tree?”  That’s why I drove.

Julian, Janet’s grandson, has been complaining about what a dead town Weed is, and I’ve been giving him little encouragements on Facebook to hopefully lighten his load, but after arriving here this afternoon, I have to say, it’s as dead as I’ve seen a town be dead.  The whole downtown area is a ghost town and only a few fast food joints next to the freeway keep any lights on.  But, he loves football and he’s on the starting line-up so that’s why he’s here.  He has two very nice boys for roommates that are both from Western Washington.  Janet took them all out for dinner tonight and we were both more than impressed with them all.

Kaleb only had a half day of school today because his pal, Brayden, wanted to spend time with him.  When the cats away, the mice do play.  Kory has a hard time keeping Kaleb on track and Kaleb knows how to play him.  Oh well.

Yesterday Kaleb attended his English and Physics classes for the first time.  He’s already been labeled “That Genius Kid” by the high schoolers.  He just shrugs his shoulders and has a smirk look on his face when he hears it.  The kids in that class are respectful of his intelligence so I don’t worry about any kind of bullying going on.  He’s so excited to be in there and he came home just pumped up after doing their first lab.  I’m preparing for the tears when he has to write up his lab report, however.  But maybe he’ll surprise me.

One of his English homework assignments is to write a five-paragraph essay on how God’s essence is reflected in nature.  Kaleb thought writing about the traits of dogs would be a good idea – that they are faithful, loyal and show unconditional love, or something like that.  I can’t wait to read it.  He was even excited about that assignment!  But he has about eight hours of homework for each class each week so he’s going to have to figure out how to manage his time, very soon. 

Kaleb was half way through the Honors Algebra class from Johns Hopkins University before we went to Norway.  I thought he could finish it up when we were there, but our internet connection didn’t work well enough for him to watch the lectures.  He was ready to take the midterm exam when we left in April, so this week he’s been having to watch every single lecture again to try and refresh his brain on all he learned six months ago.  He’s gotta take that midterm exam by Monday if he’s going to finish the class on time, so he’s got a heavy work load right now.  I’ve been having to give him lots of pep talks because he’s in the whole “Why do I need to know algebra?” mode. 

Our friends, John and Dee Foreman, stopped by for lunch on Thursday on their way home from having a few days in the San Juan Islands.  We love spending time with them and they just adore Kaleb.  Kory grilled up some of the salmon Kaleb caught so he was pretty proud to share it with them.  I also roasted up some veggies I got from the organic farm we bought a “share” from.  Talk about delicious!  There’s a ministry here in town that has a five-acre plot of land they grow organic veggies on, and we paid a fixed price and every week we go on Wednesdays to pick up our share.  I’ve never seen such good-looking produce in all my life, and it tasted incredible.  We’ve already eaten up about half of it because it was so good!  What a great perk to living in farm country.

Every day I’m in awe of the life we’ve been given.  I know it won’t always be this good, nor has it been this good in the past, but man, it’s sure good right now.  Thank you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment