Thursday, September 29, 2011

Hospitality Challenges


Our company from Norway that borrowed our car and took off to Canada for a week, returned on Wednesday last week.  I forgot to mention that in my last post.  In fact, I forgot to mention anything else that happened last week expect the misery I’ve been in because of the poison ivy encounter.  So Roda and Greg had a great time in Banff and said it was the highlight of their months in North America, so far.  They left us on Friday and flew to New York for a week, so they still have plenty of adventures that await them.

Saturday, I put some clothes on and headed south to have lunch with my pal, Paula who is in town from Colorado.  I actually was heading to my step-mom’s 70th birthday party so I killed two birds with one stone, as it were.  I had a great time visiting Paula and at the party, but I paid dearly for it as the time in the car and wearing clothes about did me in and I itched liked the dickens when I got home.  I was nearly out of my mind with the itching.  Same thing happened at church Sunday.  The desire to tear off my skin only happens if I wear any clothes around my legs or if I sit down.  Kory thinks I should just take a steroid shot and be done with it, but it’s not his body that will go into convulsions from steroids, so he can listen to me complain a little longer, I think.

Sunday night we had a nice home fellowship group at our house but Kory had to miss it because he drove down to the airport to pick up our last Norwegian guests for the year – Tone and Sabina – our old neighbors – who will be with us for three weeks.   At this point, I’m not sure how I’ll get through it with Kaleb’s school schedule and my diminished capacity, but Kory will have to pick up the slack.  I’m not hitting on all cylinders so the next few weeks should be interesting. 

Monday Kory took our guests shopping, as that was at the top of their list, but I’m not sure how we’ll take care of their desire to see a Dolly Parton concert and visit New York City.  I’m also going to be challenged by their gluten-free, lactose intolerance dietary preferences and yesterday I was unable to provide caviar when it was requested at breakfast.  Oh well.

Kory drove them around our area on Tuesday – into LaConner, over to the Reservation and on into Anacortes.  And Wednesday he drove them down to Seattle.  They got tired of being in the car, so now I’m not sure how this is going to work for the next three weeks since they get car sick so easily.

I looked up the price of tickets to go to NY (or Las Vegas or California for that matter) so they aren’t just stuck at our house for the whole time, but they don’t want to go anywhere without us because they need us to show them around because they can’t really speak English.  Oh, Lord, help me.  We pride ourselves on being hospitable but we may not pull it off too well this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment