Monday, September 19, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!


Well, I guess at a certain age, it’s worth celebrating the fact a person is still alive.  I’ve had enough girlfriends die before they reach the age of 55, so now that I’m 54, I’m thankful to God I’m not joining them – hopefully anytime soon.  It’s just a number, but I was a bit taken back when Janet took me out to dinner Friday night and the waitress asked me if I wanted to order off the “Senior” menu. Really?  I must have worse eyesight than I realize because when I look in the mirror, I sure don’t see an old woman.  I am looking forward to the discounts that are soon coming my way next year, however. 

Today was a good day.  Kory asked me what I wanted for my birthday, and knowing I’d be driving home from California in one fell swoop in the afternoon, evening and on into the wee hours of the morning the day before – I told him I just wanted a nap.  I got one, too.

I got in just before two this morning, fell right to sleep then was woken up by my boys serving me breakfast in bed.  Kaleb made a birdhouse (by request) and Kory did a watercolor of a bird.  I love homemade gifts the best.  After church, I got my nap and I woke up to the smell of homemade soup.  They even took me out to dinner later on in the evening, so my whole birthday celebration was around food.  Go figure.

Actually, every year on my birthday I like to go somewhere I have never been before.  I’ve been doing that since I was 18.  Grammy J took care of that one for me this year when she took me to Weed this weekend to see her grandson play football, so I’m satisfied.  Weed is not a destination place by any means, but we really enjoyed the nature that surrounds the place.  Yesterday morning we went “birding” and saw several types of birds she had never seen in the wild, including the northern three toed woodpecker, wild turkeys and sandhill cranes.  She was elated.  We also saw lots of deer and smaller birds we also have in the Northwest.  It was a lovely morning.

Julian’s football game started at one in the afternoon.  It must have been 80 degrees so I felt badly for all those players in hot uniforms.  Janet and I had front row seats and were so praying his team would win, but they got slaughtered 41-9.  Julian (#91) made a few tackles but it was still a sad sight to see them lose so terribly.  The game didn’t get over until 4:40 because there were so many penalties to deal with.  At one point Janet yelled out, “Is this flag day?” because so many penalty flags were flying after every play. 

We beat feet out of town the minute the game was over and Janet could kiss Julian goodbye.  We decided not to stop for anything so we dehydrated ourselves to save the potty stops and I had her home by one in the morning.  It wasn’t such an easy drive home as it was down, because most of the drive back was in the dark and it started raining the minute we hit Washington.  God kept us safe, however, and I was thankful we made it home without incident. 

So that was my birthday weekend.  Uninterrupted time spent with Janet yacking in the car for hours on end and good food and a nap on Sunday.  Pretty simple but great, too.  I got a few packages and cards in the mail from distant friends, lots of facebook messages and a few phone calls.  It’s nice to be celebrated.  Janet even told me, “I hope someday to meet your mother because I really want to thank her for having you because you’ve been such a blessing in my life.”  Does it get any better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment