Sunday, July 4, 2010

Back Home Again, Naturally

I set the alarm for six o’clock this morning, but woke up at five, ready to hit the road for the drive from Spokane to Mount Vernon. I had to wait for the boys to take a shower however, so I had a chance to post my blog. My goal was to get home before one, and we nearly made it.


We only stopped in Ellensburg for about forty minutes to have breakfast at my brother’s house, at Trader Joe’s in Issaquah to get groceries, and in Seattle at our apartment building to pick up rent checks. The boys watched movies in the car while I napped a little and Kory drove. It was nice to be heading home. We got home about forty minutes after my friend’s Dani and Chris arrived from California. They are staying with us a few days while they are on a road trip around the Northwest. They brought their two dogs along also, which thrills Kaleb, but stresses out Dani as one of them is in heat. Bad timing, as they are living in their travel trailer and can’t leave the dogs alone because they are so destructive. Dani wouldn’t exactly call this a vacation, but her husband is glad all those he loves dearly are along for the ride.

The minute we got home, Dani asked to do some laundry. I had groceries to unload so Kaleb showed her how to use the washing machine. She told him how impressed she was that his mom had taught him how to wash clothes and that she had taught her boys also, because, "What would happen if all the women in the world died?"  Kaleb responded with, “Actually, nothing would function well.  I've done research on it.” She got a good laugh out of that one and then told me how impressed she was that he understood the contribution women make to this world. And the only scientific observations he could have made in that regard was watching the interaction between Kory and I, which made her laugh all the more.


Tobias got on the lawnmower right away, as I’m such a task master and made him do his chores. Dani even said it didn’t look much like work to her because he was smiling the whole time he was doing it. It’s like a carnival ride, I guess, using that riding lawnmower. He did a great job. Kaleb never managed to get any of his chores done because he was preoccupied with the dogs.

Kory took Tobias and Kaleb out to Big Lake for our church’s annual BBQ and fireworks show. Dani and I went to dinner in LaConner without Chris because he couldn’t leave the dogs alone. Weird scenario, but it’s what he wanted. We brought him home a doggy bag, and were thankful for the “chick time” we had alone to chat. I love my friend Dani, so I’m a happy camper this week with her here.

The boys all came home before the fireworks show even got started as Kaleb was having an attitude problem and was just too tired. There are fireworks again tomorrow, so it wasn’t the end of the world, but a little disappointing that Tobias didn’t get to see them go off over the lake. He was bored too, so he didn’t mind coming home early.

So our house has a circus like quality to it right now with a trailer parked out next to the garage, two dogs running around (one wearing a diaper - see photo), and two boys to entertain at the same time. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment