Saturday, July 3, 2010

Facing our Fears

Today we let Tobias decide what he wanted to do, since he’s been following our agenda the whole trip. We gave him all the options, and he thought river rafting sounded like the most fun, since he’d never done it before. We hung out at our friend’s house all morning, waiting for the afternoon run that goes right by Joni’s and Jimmy’s house. The kids all played board games and us adults talked about the challenges of parenting.




Everyone thought we all should go rafting together, but the river is exceptionally high this year and running very fast. Just one look at the rapids made the good sense I was born with, kick into gear, and I opted out of the adventure. I thought they needed a photographer on the side lines and gave me something to do while they were on the water (see photo).



Tobias went from being slightly interested in the adventure to being downright “terrified” (as he said), once he saw Kory sign away all rights to sue the Flying Pig Raft Company in case of any accident or death that may follow. Tobias got very frightened at that point and wanted to back out of the trip, but everyone (except me) assured him he would be fine. I was actually terrified something might happen too, and how could I ever explain our lack of judgment to his parents. A mother’s worry never ends. Jim and Joni assured us it was safe and their kids had just run the river the week before, but even still, I wasn’t convinced.



Poor Tobias, he was white as a ghost as he headed down to the raging Yellowstone River. Kory and Kaleb were whooping it up, looking forward to the thrills that were to come. Emma and Bennett, the two older kids belonging to the family we were staying with, were with me, riding in the car, following along down the river, pulling over on the river’s edge like storm chasers, in order to capture as many photos and videos of their trip as we could. At the point they passed in front of Joni’s property, we were down at the river’s edge, cameras pointing toward the water. I had Tobias’ camera in my left hand, set for video mode, and my camera in my right hand, taking still photos. I was so concerned about keeping both cameras on the action, I didn’t even see what was happening in real life, which was a good thing. Kaleb had gotten permission from the guide to fall overboard just as he passed by the beach where we were waiting. Joni freaked out when she saw it happen, but ignorance was totally bliss for me. I never saw him fall in, but I saw someone being pulled out of the water, not knowing it was Kaleb. I’m sure Kory put him up to it. He thought it was great fun, but it was in the middle of some rapids, so I’m not sure it was wise. I had prayed so much for all of them before they left, all I could do was thank God they all came back ok. Tobias said it was the most fun he’s had in years, and the only thing that came close was some rides at amusement parks. He wanted to go again right away, but we didn’t have time for a second run. He’s decided he’s going to give it a try in Norway, as I think he got hooked on the experience. I’m just thankful he wasn’t scared to death the whole time and sorry he went, which is how it would have been if I’d gone, I’m sure.



We spent the rest of the day hanging out with our friends. The kids had a water gun fight and played down at the river beach. Tobias helped Kory to get a little motor scooter working. When he gave it a test run, he didn’t know the brakes weren’t working and he nearly crashed into a neighboring cabin. Kory said that little ride was far more dangerous than their trip going eight miles down the river. Tobias thought it was pretty funny, but only because he wasn’t hurt. It could have ended badly, but didn’t, thank God.



So our time at Yellowstone was full of good memories and fun times spent with friends, and everyone left alive. There can’t be any better kind of vacation that that, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment