Wednesday, July 14, 2010

They Made It!

Kory was up and out the door long before the rest of us got up as he had his retired men’s Bible study to attend this morning, and he wasn’t about to miss that. He had the oil changed on our Honda afterwards in preparation for all the miles it’s soon going to rack up. We are loaning it to Tobias’ parents to drive to San Francisco next week, plus we’ll be driving it around a lot ourselves, taking them here and there.




As soon as Kory made it back to the cabin, I took off for home. I had some final cleaning to do, also in preparation for our company coming from Norway. I needed to change sheets on the beds and wash the floors and bathrooms. It’s impossible to have a clean house with boys and dogs and company, but at least I can make a good first impression, so if it’s just clean for the first two minutes, I’ve done my job. I didn’t expect to be gone all afternoon, but I was, as I had some watering to do as well. Fortunately, we haven’t had any rain lately and it looks like it will be that way for a while.



Kory was at the beach with the boys all afternoon, overseeing their second attempt at building a raft that would hold a bon fire. At least they have a goal and something to focus on. When they finished, they had to wait for the tide to come in, so they all played another round of Monopoly. I won last night’s round so this was the loser’s version, and Tobias won. Kaleb handled losing pretty well. Sometimes he flips out about it, but with Monopoly, it’s easy to see the end is near. At least they played it out on the deck and didn’t sit inside on such a beautiful day.  Finallly, when the tide returned, they were able to roast their long awaited marshmallows from the canoe - quite the novelty, I'm sure (see photo).



Kory only had one disciplinary issue today with Kaleb, so that’s an improvement. I had to deal with some disrespect issues tonight with him, but I have to have hope things will get better. I can’t wait for the teenage years. Kaleb did impress me tonight doing his final report for his Life Sciences class with Johns Hopkins, so at least that went smoothly and he completed the class. He was notified today he got 96% on his final exam, so we are pretty proud of that. How his brain can contain so much scientific knowledge, yet lack so much common sense, is beyond me.



Kory and Tobias headed out tonight to go pick up Tobias’ family at Sea Tac. They made it back here after midnight, looking rather weary and a bit hungry. After a bowl of soup, they all fell asleep pretty quickly. We love having company, so we are thankful they are here. We have many adventures and memories to make in the next few weeks so we can’t wait to show them around our neck of the woods. Norway is far more beautiful, but America isn’t all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment