Friday, July 23, 2010

Unexpected Pleasures


I loaned the traveling Norskies my cell phone for their road trip to San Francisco, so I called them tonight just before six o’clock to see where they were, and they were already in the city and had just gotten their first glimpse of Alcatraz. I talked with Tobias and he sounded pretty excited, as they were pulling up to their hotel on Fisherman’s Wharf. I’m so thankful they made it safe and sound. My job is done.



Kory had to run down to Seattle this morning to drop off a “specimen” for testing the level of mercury in his body, so I decided to go along with him. I found out last night that a friend of mine (Grammy J’s daughter, JaRon) was having hip replacement surgery today. She just found out about it herself yesterday, so we were all taken by surprise. I wanted to go pray for her before the operation, so Kory dropped me off at the hospital and went on over to Lunde to do a few things there. We had a nice little chat and the surgery went well, thank God.



While I was at the hospital, I got a call from my old high school chum, Paula, who now lives in Colorado. She had just landed at Sea-Tac with her husband, Paul, as they are in town this weekend for our 35th high school reunion (which I won’t be attending). She wanted to know if she could meet us for lunch, so it was all too coincidental and convenient that we were already in Seattle, and happened to have the time available. They took us out to Ray’s Boathouse and we were lucky enough to sit out on the deck (see photo). It was absolutely perfect weather for such a thing; not too hot, not too cold and just enough sun to make one feel lucky to be alive and able to enjoy the day. It was nice to have a few relaxing minutes to catch up on what’s going on in their lives, as their youngest daughter just got engaged and the wedding is in September.



The weather made us all want to linger a bit longer in the sunshine, so as we drove past the Ballard Locks we decided to get out and go for a stroll. The fish were jumping and the seals were at the ready, eating them up. We walked through the fish ladder and saw the biggest salmon I’ve ever seen, and even though I’d just eaten lunch, it made me hungry for some grilled fish. Yum. After a lovely walk through the gardens there, they dropped us off at Lunde and headed on out to Issaquah for the first of many reunion festivities this weekend.



Kory got stopped by one of our tenants who reported that he had a leaky pipe under his bathroom sink. One thing led to another, and four hours later he replaced the pipes, the sink and the faucet. All the while I’m unexpectedly spending my afternoon in Seattle with not much to do. I had my laptop along so Kory took me down to the library and I surfed the web until they closed up for the night. Fortunately, Kory showed up soon afterwards.



We left Kaleb home alone for the day, thinking we’d be gone just a few hours, but as it turned out, he was home alone much longer than that. He liked it. I told him after he did his chores, he needed to write me a proposal letter on how his schooling should go this fall. He decided he wants to “own school” so he can be in charge of himself. We had an interesting discussion around that concept, but the jury is still out on whether we put him in school this fall or not. I’m completely torn on the matter. He spent his day playing a new Nintendo game that Tobias bought for him, so he couldn’t have been more pleased to be home alone, in charge of himself for so many hours. I’m sure he didn’t see the light of day.



We had a family movie night tonight and watched “Ice Age 3.” Kory fell right to sleep, even though Kaleb was sitting on his lap, making sure we all knew when the funny parts were coming up (he’s seen the movie before.) I have a zillion other things I needed to be doing besides watching a kid’s movie, but there probably won’t be that many more Friday nights in our future when Kaleb wants to be home doing something with his parents, so I’m cashing in on them while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment