Monday, January 21, 2013

A Camping We Will Go


20 Jan 2013


It’s starting to feel like summertime!  It was in the 60s today and I even managed to get a bit of color on my face from being outside.  There are few things in life I enjoy more than taking a little time to soak in the sun.  I’m too restless to just lay around all day at the beach like some people can do, but shutting my eyes and lying back in a lawn chair in order to feel the warmth of the sun on my face for a few minutes is next to heaven for me.  The fact we were in a beautiful campground, surrounded by the sounds of nature, was just a bonus.

Dani and I headed up to Eastman Lake before breakfast.  The campground is just lovely and used frequently all year round, except in the summertime when it’s over 100 degrees and no one braves it, as there are few trees for shade and lots of open space.  The fact the rattlesnakes come out of hiding then is also a deterrent.  The landscape is foreign looking with short ground cover and large rounded boulders protruding all over.  Rolling hills surround the horizons. The lake is man made and down about sixty feet because there has been no rain. 

I asked Kaleb how the Passport to Purity program went and he just laughed.  I guess every activity they were supposed to do somehow didn’t go as expected.  He still appreciated the information it provided and Kory said it was the best time he’s had with Kaleb – allowing them to talk heart to heart about some things they’d otherwise never talk about.  They tried to go gold panning but Kory couldn’t find a creek with running water.  This area is known for gold panning, but I guess a person needs to know where to go.  They also went in to Fresno to eat at a Sushi bar but Kory couldn’t find it so they ended up at Panera Breads.  This is where advanced planning always comes in to play and why I’m the planner, but this was Kory’s deal so oh well.  It didn’t seem to hurt the process any, so that was good.  Kory gave Kaleb a 1/10 ounce platinum coin as a reminder of this weekend.  Kaleb was thrilled with that as he likes to collect coins and precious metals.

Kory, Kaleb and I walked down to the water’s edge and hung out for most of the morning collecting rocks with big chunks of mica and just playing around in nature.  Some of the hills the boys climbed climbed are actually under water most of the year so Kory found fishing lures and floats at the top of them.  Funny.  We saw all kinds of birds, lizards, a rabbit, ground squirrels, hawks and eagles.  After dark we heard owls hooting to each other.  Such a contrasting experience in nature for the image I otherwise have of California – just non-stop freeways and massive housing developments.  It’s comforting to know there are such remote places for people to escape to in this state.

I’m not sure why Dani and Chris like to go camping because they do the same thing here they do at home – sit around and read or talk to their neighbor.  Their neighbor is here, too, with his dogs.  Everyone here has dogs and everyone seems content to just sit around and chat.  I’m more inclined to go exploring and see what there is to see, rather than just hang around the campfire, but since Dani is here and I don’t get to see her enough, I had to adjust my expectations.  So we talked away the afternoon.

Kaleb played with some other kids in the campground while Kory and I, Chris and Dani all took naps – as if the talking exhausted us all. Ha.  We grilled some portabella mushrooms for dinner and afterwards played cards while Dani and Chris watched a movie in their camping trailer. Once we close the blinds on our RV, it just feels like we are home - so except for the fact we didn’t have any internet connection, it was a normal “at home” evening for us.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment