Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Packin' Up and Headin' Out


There is no calm before this storm.  Our house is in full tilt packing up and getting ready to head out.  We are all on hyper mode trying to get every last detail completed.  The ones we haven’t yet thought of, well, hopefully that’ all will be undone.

Our RV is packed and ready to go.  Our house will be cared for while we are gone.  All is right in our world – that is of course unless there is snow in the Siskyous, we get the flu or the motorhome breaks down.  But none of those things will happen as I’m confident we are on a journey with God and he’s posting angels around us as we travel.

Kaleb is excited about our road trip but probably won’t forgive me if it snows while we are away.  We missed the sunny summer this year, and if we get a snowy winter, and we’re not here, I think he’ll be more than a bit peeved.  Like I control those things.  I offered to spend a day up in the mountains with him playing in the snow before we go, but he really likes it when the snow comes to us so we can come inside and warm up between snowball fights.  Such is life.

My latest new is that I’ve been asked to write a second column for the local paper.  The pressure is on.  I’m wondering how I can keep up the Norway column as I’m running out of material, but I’ve felt that way for over a year now and somehow I keep doing it.  If I make it to three years in February I’ll be thrilled.  My editor just wants to keep re-running the old stuff because people really like reading it and no one remembers what they read three years ago.  Or so she thinks.

My second column will be a general interest one – just about life, mothering and homeschooling I guess.  I’ve always wanted to be an Erma Bombeck type, and not just because my last name is similar.  I don’t think I’m as funny as she was though so she’s a tough act to follow.  I’m sure I’ll get plenty of things to write about on our trip.

The first leg of our journey is straight down to California with only a stop in Salem, Oregon to visit a friend in prison.  That guy is a whole other story, but needless to say, Kaleb should experience the “when I was in prison, you visited me” part of the Bible.  He went once before and fell asleep out of sheer boredom and was more than a little ticked he couldn’t bring in a book to read.  It may have been the longest time he’s been without a book in his hand in his life.  And I’m making him do it all over again.

We are stopping in Northern California to go to a healing prayer room for Kory – asking God to help his aging body stay strong (and alive).  Then we’re off to Fresno to have dinner with my best friend and visit her for a day before we check in to Gleanings for the Hungry where we will volunteer for a week packing dried fruits and veggies to be sent to third world countries.  I want Kaleb to experience a 40 hour work week, so it should be interesting.

Kaleb’s had some extended time with various friends before we leave so I hope that carries him over.  His buddy Spencer was here for a few days last week and they cracked me up at the breakfast table quizzing each other on details of the Periodic Table of Elements.  I’m so glad he has a friend that “gets” him as he wouldn’t even be able to tell you what type of sport the Seahawks play.  He’s in his own world, but it’s a good one.

I’ll post as much as I can on our trip, but internet connections might be spotty.  When we are in Norway it takes about two hours out of my day to write the blog and post it, so I’m not sure I’ll have that much time, but I’ll do what I can.  I’m thankful for all the prayers offered on our behalf and I’m trusting God this will be a positive family experience.  It brings back memories already of the two years Kory and I spent traveling in an RV when we first got married.  But we’ll only be passing through 20 states, not all 50.  I just love a good road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment