Monday, January 14, 2013

A Real Day of Rest



13 Jan 2013

Hanging out with my pal Dani has to be one of the highlights of my life.  She and her husband make me laugh like no one else I know, except maybe my pal, Vestina, in Norway.  I met Dani in 1983 when I was her supervisor at my first job out of college.  She hadn’t been to college at that point, but she has since bested me by getting her AA, BA and MA.  She’s now a school administrator working with troubled kids.  She’s an excellent “shrink” as she’s able to put spins on things I’d never even think of.  She’s also a cancer survivor and one very sharp cookie.  I so wish we lived closer to each other.

We were hoping to go to church with her this morning but her church had a big shake up and split, so she isn’t going there anymore.  She reminded me we went to  “church” yesterday in Redding, so she thought that might “count.”  She was raised catholic so her guilt was coming through, but I assured her it was okay if we all just hung out at her house and skipped church altogether.

Chris and Kory were outside in the beautiful (but chilly) sunshine, washing vehicles this afternoon. Our rig was covered in rust colored sand from going over the pass.  Dani and I hung out inside all day yacking away while Kaleb was glued to their big screen TV and their dog.  He was in hog heaven when Abby was on his lap and he was petting her with one hand while holding his nook, reading a book, with his other hand.  He thought it was funny when the dog moved her head and her nose accidentally turned the page for him.

It was a laid back kind of day and Kory kept remarking it was so unusual for us to have nothing on the agenda.  But I did, and I was doing it – just catching up with my friend.   I haven’t seen her for a year when she came up to visit me for a long weekend last January.

Dani made a great fat free vegan stew for us for lunch and I made pasta for dinner for everyone but we ate it quickly so we could hit the road and get checked in at Gleanings for the Hungry – our first big volunteer stop on this trip.  It’s a Youth with a Mission base not far from Dani’s house, south of Fresno, where they process dried fruits and veggies for the needy.  In the summer, their dorms are full of high school and college kids, but in the off-season they are full of Canadians volunteering for the winter, trying to escape the cold from the north.

Ironically, there’s a cold snap going on right now so it’s a bit nippy at night – like 25 degrees, but we bought a small portable heater so we don’t have to run the furnace, and we are more than toasty warm inside.  We have a great RV concrete slab with water, electric and sewer and it’s in a quiet area – surrounded by orange groves.  This is a huge complex, but there aren’t many people here right now, so we’ll see how the week shapes up.  We’re just here to serve in whatever capacity they need us and it’s my best shot at giving Kaleb a taste of the “working life” he doesn’t otherwise know anything about. 

What’s so amazing about living in an RV is that we have absolutely everything we need here.  Food, shelter, water, a bed, a dining table, electricity, a place for everything and the ability to move around.  It makes me wonder what we are doing with so much other stuff in our house, when life can be broken down to such basic necessities and we’re able to function just fine with so little.  It’s certainly something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment