Monday, January 21, 2013

Back to School


21 Jan 2013

The sun peeked in through our windows again today.  There’s just something about waking up to blue skies and sunshine that makes the day seem fine, no matter what other circumstances may arise.  I guess I’m sun deprived because it feels extra special to me these days and I almost feel like stopping everything planned, just to sit and point my face toward the sun until it’s too hot to enjoy any longer.  Oh, how good it felt today.

Dani, Chris and their dog, and Kory, Kaleb and I all took a walk around the campground after breakfast.  A year ago, that wouldn’t have been possible since Chris couldn’t walk from one room of his house to another, but he had his back fused and much of his disability has disappeared because of it.  He’s far more mobile than he has been in years, so it was a real treat to just be out and about with him.  The woodpeckers were busy banging on the trees, hawks were soaring overhead, lizards scurried between cracks in the rocks and squirrels scampered back into their holes in the ground as we walked by.  Nature was alive and well and I guess that was the point of the journey – just to experience that.


We left before Dani and Chris as Kaleb discovered the only shoes we brought for him on this trip, beside his Crocs, were too small.  The last time I bought him shoes they were a size 6.  We stopped on the way back to Dani’s house and I was shocked to see he wears a size 9 now.  How did that happen?


We gassed up the RV, bought a few items we needed for the journey and for dinner, then headed back to Dani’s house for a taco dinner.  Kaleb had been reading a book all day on the Periodic Table of Elements, so at dinner he started asking us very detailed questions about different elements.  None of us knew a darn thing about anything he was talking about so it was getting annoying.  Chris got up from the dinner table and came back with a roll of duct tape, “In case I need it,” he said.  That made his point and Kaleb finally quit the non-stop barrage of questions.  It was pretty funny.


Kaleb actually got some school work done today, much to his dismay, and I had extra time to visit with my dear friend, so it wasn’t a bad day… just not one I’d planned on spending waiting for the mail to come tomorrow.  Good thing we had a bit of cushion in this week or I’d be stressed out.  If the tabs don’t come tomorrow, I will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment