Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fat Tuesday


12 Feb 2013


Kory got busy right after breakfast, replacing all the molding in the bathroom and kitchen.  I must say it sure spiffed up the place.  He also replaced the molding along the little walls behind the driver and passenger seats.  I hope it all holds up for a while, but for now, our motorhome never looked better.  He was going to do some things on the roof, too, but we had rain off and on all day, so that killed those plans.

Our internet connection has been on and off again all day, too.  I think at most I get connected for about two minutes, then it’s off for at least 20.  It’s been a pain to try and get things done with it being so unreliable, but I have to be happy I have it at all.  I needed to readjust some of our travel plans again today as we are trying to get home as soon as possible.  Kory’s got more and more things to take care of at our apartment building, so we can’t dawdle.  

I didn’t leave the RV all day, except to take a shower.  I watched, out of my kitchen window, one group of school children after another come walking toward the rocket launch area.  There must have been a group every 20 minutes or so.  Then out of the living room window I sat and watched the kids fire off one rocket after another (above).  It went on all day.  I’m sure at least two hundred rockets were launched today.  Must have been a field trip for local schools or something as they definitely weren’t camp kids.  I was surprised how differently all the rockets flew.  Some didn’t even make it off the launch pad, some the parachutes didn’t open.  It was fun to hear all the cheers and feel the excitement of the kids.  Glad I had a front row seat.  I can’t wait for Thursday at 1:30 when Kaleb’s group will be firing them off.  I trust he’s having a wonderful time today and glad he didn’t have to be outside in the rain.  He didn’t want to get too excited about the camp ahead of time for fear he’d be disappointed, but I’ve yet to hear of anyone that didn’t want to come back year after year, so this might be the highlight of our journey for him.  (My hand shook on the photo below but it's the only photo I got before the rocket was out of view - those things are FAST!)


I took care of some of my own to-do items today, like paying bills and cleaning out cupboards.  It doesn’t take long to clean the RV, but I need to constantly reorganize and shift things around in the cupboards as space becomes available and we buy more food and supplies.  It’s a constant juggling act.  So far though, everything fits and I haven’t gotten claustrophobic.  I’m very pleased with how the RV functions.  We have room for everything we need.

I got one article written today for my new Ridge column and hopefully tomorrow I will write my farewell column for “Nuggets from Norway.”  I am still rather surprised people like reading what I write.   I also worked on a photo album from last summer.  At least we accomplished something today and it was sure nice to not go anywhere.  Although, being in the south, we could have participated in Fat Tuesday’s celebrations somewhere.  I just ate a cookie with fat in it and called it good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment