Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Maintenance


11 Feb 2013



It was a great day today – not really having to go anywhere and no real agenda to follow.  Knowing Kaleb was right next door helped the worry I felt about him being with strangers.  As the literature from Space Camp says, “we may get a few homesick campers, but we have homesick parents by the dozen…” so I guess I qualify under that one.

We used the day to be somewhat productive with needed repairs on the motorhome.  I found an auto upholstery business just a few miles away that was able to rebuild the sleeper sofa in the RV.  The springs were sticking up into the cushion and the foam was worn out so it was impossible for me to sleep on, it squeaked every time someone sat on it and it was more than a little lumpy.  I was so pleased they were able to remove the couch and rebuild it all in one day – for less than I expected to pay for such a thing.  I’m currently lying back on the couch, enjoying the cush.  It’s a Hallelujah moment for me as now it’s actually a comfortable place to rest.

It took way longer than it should have to find a place to get the oil changed, however.  We first went to a nearby Walmart, but their bay doors weren’t big enough for our rig.  We drove up and down the main retail corridor looking for a Jiffy Lube or something and couldn’t find one.  We finally had to go about five miles away but then, I was shocked at how quickly the work was done.  I sat inside and fired up another episode of “Downton Abbey” but before the opening credits were even done rolling, the RV was ready to go.  So, that item is checked off our list for another 3,000 miles anyway.

We spent about an hour in a T-Mobile store asking them why, when I go to make a phone call on my “smart phone,” it just powers off.  Or, when I try to use the navigation system, and I punch in the address, it also powers off the phone.  Doesn’t seem too smart to me.  Kory has even called me when we are sitting right next to each other and my phone didn’t ring.  I’m more than frustrated with the fact I spent hundreds of dollars on the phone and the one-year warranty just expired and so, apparently, did the phone.  The guy there “cleared my cache” and told me that was probably the problem.  We’ll see.   I think it’s a problem with another type of cash, myself.  Planned obsolescence.  Ugh.

We splurged and went out to lunch today – a chain restaurant called “Nothing But Noodles.”  Oh, it was good!  They even sautéed everything in water, rather than oil, so it was a real treat for Kory to eat something other than my cooking.

The afternoon was spent running around to auto parts stores, Home Depot and Costco getting supplies.  Tomorrow Kory plans to do a few “home improvements” on the RV.  The molding where the wall meets the countertops in the bathroom and kitchen are all cracked and falling apart, so we found something that will hopefully replace that.  There’s other molding edge pieces that also need replacing, a few hinges and handles that need some attention and things on the roof that need regluing.  It should keep him busy for the day, I hope, as I need to get a bit of writing done and replan the rest of our trip, since there will be a few modifications from the original plan.

I’ve now watched the whole first season of “Downton Abbey” and I must say, seven episodes does NOT a season make!  Netflix doesn’t have Season 2 on their “watch instant” list, which is probably a good thing because it will get me off this comfy couch and on to other things. 

(I didn't take any photos today, but the photo above is from yesterday - Kaleb on the right climbing a rock wall at the Space Museum - which is also one of his camp activities this week. He's a real spiderman.)

No comments:

Post a Comment