Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Valentine’s Day!


14 Feb 2013


When we checked Kaleb into camp, I asked the director when he would be shooting off his rocket, since I knew I’d be able to see him then and I wanted to be sure we weren’t gone from the RV park.  It was at 1:30 this afternoon, so I sat all morning, anxiously watching the clock.  I was so hoping he’s been having a good time and getting along with everyone.  It seemed like forever until 1:30 rolled around.

Kory did the last final repair on the RV today since it was sunny and dry.  The previous owner had sealed all the roof seams with some kind of tape, and the tape was lifting.  Kory got up on the roof and cleaned all the seams then reheated the tape and stuck it back down.  So now, all our repairs are complete and there’s not much more we can do to this rig so I guess we can finally relax.  It’s been good to have this downtime to get all that stuff done.  We bought the RV last March and knew all these things needed tending to, but when we are at home, Kory finds more important things to do, so this time waiting for Kaleb was at least productive.

I sat all morning copying and pasting notes from files I had on a Sunday school class I taught last year on prayer.  Shirley, the missionary we are going to visit in the Bahamas, asked if I’d teach the teenagers Sunday school class on the 24th.  I was trying to figure out how to cram 8 weeks worth of lessons into an hour long class… so I just took the important stuff and then, not sure what I was thinking, I closed the file without saving it.  I nearly cried.  It sure burst my bubble on that effort, so now I’m not sure when I’ll have time to do that again, but it’s still over a week away.  Kory also spent time today preparing a talk for the Wednesday night meeting in Nassau.  And, we had to go buy Kory a shirt, pants and tie as Shirley said he “wouldn’t need a suit jacket, just a shirt and tie would do…”.  Oops.  We hadn’t even packed that to take along.  He forgot how formal they are down there.

As the time drew nearer, I walked down the path toward the Space Center, so I’d have just a little extra time with Kaleb along the walk back.  He wasn’t nearly as excited to see me as I was to see him.  But it warmed my heart to see how chatty he was with his teammates and how much they were all laughing and interacting together.  He obviously had clicked with them all, so that was an answered prayer.  He said he hasn’t learned that much new stuff, but they have done a lot of cool activities and he was having a much better time than he expected.  He’s already talking about coming back in a year or two so he can attend the Advanced Space Academy, where they get to do even cooler things.  I was so thrilled to hear him chatter on and to see the delight in his face.  I don’t know that he’s been that excited about anything.

None of their rockets launched properly because they had the wrong fuel supply, so they only went up about fifty feet then came careening back down, penetrating the earth like a dart.  They should have flown much higher and the fuselage should have separated, but I saw some earlier groups that had the same problem.  The kids doing the smaller rockets must have launched them 200-300 feet, but the bigger rockets needed a bigger fuel supply.  Oh well, they still all had fun watching them fly.

Once Kaleb headed back to camp, we disconnected the RV and went to buy Kory a tie and to get a few other supplies.  I’m not sure what hit me but when we were at the store, I couldn’t make it out to the RV without sitting down.  My cough has returned in a big way today and I didn’t feel well at all.  Good thing we celebrated Valentine’s Day yesterday because I couldn’t get off the couch the rest of the afternoon.  I was worried it might be pneumonia, as I’ve had it before and I had a lot of the symptoms, but Kory and I both prayed and while I’m not feeling 100%, I’m trusting God “this too shall pass.”

Tomorrow we leave Alabama and head for Atlanta, then on into Florida on Saturday.  So many experiences yet to be had, but I’m ready to go home now.  There’s nothing like the comforts of home when I’m not feeling so hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment