Friday, February 1, 2013

This is What Sick Looks Like


31 Jan 2013



Poor Kaleb.  He was hit with the full-blown flu today and didn’t get out of bed once.  He was sweating, but had the chills.  He moaned more than he spoke.  He had no appetite and no energy.  I feel his pain.  I wished I could have done something for him besides give him a few remedies that didn’t seem to even touch his symptoms. 

I was sure I’d be back to some level of productivity today, so after my morning aspirin kicked in, I went and took a shower.  I hadn’t had one in five days so to say it was long overdue is an understatement.  Even Kaleb was telling me I had “bed head.”  Good thing no one saw me.

By the time I finished the shower, I was all in.  I had no energy for anything-  probably because I haven’t eaten much this week but also I’m not at full lung capacity.  Ugh.  I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired!  All I could do was lie around all day.  I at least got a nap in the sunshine for a little while, but with Kaleb feeling so poorly I wanted to stay close to him in the RV.  Misery loves company.

I’m learning the true definition of insanity – when you do the same thing over and over again expecting different results – only today it applied to playing Angry Birds.  I played it for hours on end, mostly because my brain was still too foggy to read, but it only got me frustrated that I couldn’t move on to the next level.  I feel like I’m in some weird “time out” with life - just lying around with no chores, no cooking, no cleaning, no errands, not even progressing in a stupid video game.  If this keeps up much longer I’ll feel like a real angry (caged) bird.

At least I’m nearly done with all my laptop file organization, so that’s something.  I watched a movie and I slept - that’s about all I accomplished today.  I didn’t even have energy to make Kory dinner so he ate the last of the leftovers – which lasted much longer since Kaleb and I haven’t been eating.  I swear, tomorrow is a new day and I’ll be back in action.

Kory had a good day at work.  They set the two last beams to get the building ready for the roofers.  Tomorrow the two Hard Hats guys are leaving, so it all finished in perfect timing.  Kory was able to go back to work on the steps for Yvonne.  While he was digging in the ground for the foundation, he unearthed a tarantula.  I guess they bury themselves when the temperature drops.  This is work Kaleb would have been doing for him so there is a “good thing” to come out of Kaleb being sick today.  That would have ended Kaleb’s work right there.  The spider just got placed down another hole somewhere and Kory went back to work.

Still feeling pretty peppy after a long day’s manual labor, Kory came home and then went jogging just to see how quickly the angina comes on.  It’s his only real measuring tool to see if he’s reversing his heart disease or not.  He did get it, he said, but not much, so that’s good.  It’s incredible he had the energy for that run.  I can tell this week has done a lot to restore the image he’s had of himself as a decrepit old man.  I’m so thankful his body has held up this week!

I think Bob and Yvonne come back tomorrow night.  This week didn’t turn out as they had planned, either.  Two groups totaling 28 are coming in from Michigan tomorrow so that will change the dynamic around here.  We are in the RV Park section of the camp though, which is about a five minute walk from the other dorms and cafeteria, but at least there will be some life in this place.  It’s so quiet here!  All I hear is wildlife, mostly the quails beeping at each other all day and the coyotes at night. Occasionally I’ll hear the air brakes of a big truck out on the highway or the distant sound of a train whistle, but the seven senior citizens that are also staying in the RV park with us sure don’t make much noise.  I’m sure they can all hear Kaleb and I sneezing and coughing, however. 

No comments:

Post a Comment