Saturday, February 2, 2013

Over the Hump


1 Feb 2013

It was sunny and in the 70s today in the high desert and for once, I could go outside and enjoy the day.  I still didn’t do much but increased my vitamin D levels, however.  It was the first morning all week where every muscle in my body wasn’t screaming out in pain and there was no need for aspirin.  A hallelujah kind of moment for me.  Kaleb is another story, however.

I had to rest after I took a shower, though.  Then I had to lie down after I did the dishes and shook out the rugs.  I was feeling so good then that I actually tackled a job that’s been waiting for me all week – organizing the “linen trailer.” 

A small camper that’s not fit for living, is being used to store extra sheets, towels and blankets.  They were all just piled in there without size distinctions so I was asked early on if I’d separate out the twin sheets from the full sizes.  I’ve been wanting to do that everyday and today I got lucky.  Half way through, I had to go lie in the sun for a while before I had strength to finish the job, but finish it I did.  And just in time because one of the women here needed to get the dorms ready for the group that came in tonight.  So much for my lasting mark on this place – she took all the sheets! 

Another triumphant moment came when, after soaking in the sun for over an hour, I got energized enough to get up and make dinner!  That sun is healing.  I never thought I’d be so happy to make a meal.  I made chili stuffed baked potatoes and they tasted so good I wish we’d have invited someone over to enjoy them with us.  At least Kory has leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  Such simple pleasures.

Kaleb seemed to be running a fever all day.  He’s coughed more than a person should.  He’s only eating enough to keep a bird alive and that boy is already skinny.  I’m just thanking God it’s only the flu.  I have to believe God’s spared him being bit by some venomous creature if he would have been out working all week as planned, otherwise, I’d be too sad to think he’s missed so many good working opportunities.  The work done here is right in line with Kory’s whole professional life and it would have been good for Kaleb to experience that day after day, just so he has a full understanding of why Kory’s body has worn out.  Oh well, God knows best.

Kory gave up on building the steps.  He was planning to make them with just materials they had on hand here, but someone in charge decided they needed to order supplies (they don’t know Kory) and the supplies didn’t come.  He was pulled off that job and put on making concrete vaults that are buried in the ground for electrical wires and plumbing.  It’s not highly skilled labor but he did improve the system they were doing and was able to show others, so that was a bonus.  The other guys still here just did clean up work all day so the work crew tomorrow isn’t stepping over construction debris when they get to work on the roof. 

I walked over to the jobsite for the first time all week to have a look at the progress, but I couldn’t make it back without taking a time out.  I can’t believe how much energy has been zapped from my body.  I’m attributing some of it to the fact we are at 4,000 feet and it’s just a general lack of oxygen I’m dealing with, on top of flu recovery.

Bob and Yvonne got in late tonight with their big group from Washington State.  I guess Bob’s delay in being released from the hospital had more to do with his reactions to all the medications they were giving him, than anything else.  This is why they call it “practicing medicine” – because they just don’t have it right, yet.  He was in a world of hurt and is still a bit frail but I’m sure that won’t slow him down.  Yvonne had the same crud all week that Kaleb and I have (we got it from them, I’m sure), but she stayed at the home of their doctor, so she was well cared for.  They were both glad to be back, and especially glad to see the dorm building ready for the roofers.  That was a God thing all the way around.  I guess God had to use Yvonne as the bait to get us down here because it was Kory’s work that was needed “for such a time as this.”

The exciting news this week, besides the fact I finally finished all my laptop file and photo (over 20,000!) organization - has been the debut of my new column in the LaConner newspaper.  I already heard from the editor that it’s a big hit.  Woo hoo for that!  I get to write about anything I want, so I guess that column will never die.  The one I write about Norway will come to a close sometime this month as it will be three years I’ve been doing it and I’m just flat out of material.  But when I can write about Kory and Kaleb and all the crazy things in our lives, I’m not sure a weekly column will be enough.  Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment